Built in 1845, it was the first lighthouse in PEI and one of the oldest in Canada. It was built to illuminate the entrance to Charlottetown Harbour. This lighthouse is also special because it is only one of two lighthouses in Canada to have a round tower made of bricks and the outside was covered in cedar shingles a few years after construction. Being surrounded by water on 3 sides, and farmland in the distance, it is a dominant landmark and is a popular sport for community events. It is also a symbol for locals and a popular spot for tourists to visit.